Top 5 Things I Screw Up in Solo Ads

Top 5 Things I Screw Up in Solo Ads
Nathanael Thomas Oswald
6 posts / 5 likes

Yup, you read that right. No matter how many ads I run, I still screw up some little detail every now and again. Maybe This list will help you avoid my mistakes.

#5 COPY WITHOUT CHANGE

Back when we were running LOTS of solo ads and really building our list, I would create a great landing page for a particular offer. I would spend a lot of editing the text, testing the links, doing sample runs, etc.

BUT - since I spent so much time on it when we ran the same offer through multiple vendors, I would often copy the page to a new ClickMagic link for the new vendor WITHOUT going in and resetting the Ad Tracking, Campaign name, etc.

That makes tracking my results much more difficult and time-consuming and messes with the stats in the back office of whatever offer I was sent to.

#4 TRYING TO RE-INVENT THE WHEEL

I frequently fall victim to my own ego: I think I am pretty smart, and I think I have learned enough to think I am a good copywriter. Therefore, I would (will?) frequently try to 'outdo' the copy provided by the offer I was promoting.

This would lead to several problems:

Incongruency between my text and the offer

Swipe copy that is too detailed (sell the sizzle, not the sausage)

Swipe copy that is too long (keep it a short as a lady's skirt: long enough to cover the essentials, short enough to be interesting)

Swipe copy that doesn't convert as well as stock, wasting solo ad money

This isn't to say you shouldn't try to write your won swipe, but if you are marketing a big offer that has been around and they provide some, do not be afraid to model after it closed. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

#3 NOT THINKING LIKE AN ADVERTISER

I like to help people. I want to see people succeed. This makes me a terrible advertiser because I try to get people what they NEED, not what they WANT.

Your swipe/subject lines need to hit on what people WANT. Nobody gets excited about buying a new ice scraper for their car, even though they need it. But if there was a product that promised to de-ice your windshield in 60 seconds or less, that is what customers would WANT.

#2 LETTING THE SOLO AD VENDOR WRITE IT FOR ME

Now hear me out, this one may cause some controversy.

Many solo ad vendors are good copywriters. A few are even great. They know their lists and what their customers respond to.

BUT, people are not buying your product; they are buying YOU. You must find a way to have your voice and personality in your copy. You must build that relationship (know-like-trust) in order to have long-term success.

If your ad vendor offers to write it for you, then maybe look at what they do - but make sure you get final approval before anything goes out. It is your money, and they work for you - you have the final say. Partner with them, leverage their experience, but stick to your guns about what you know you need.

#1 NOT CHECKING IF THE VENDOR HAS BEEN RUNNING MY OFFER LATELY

This one stung me a lot when I first got started, as we were repping a pretty popular company at the time. We used some 'recommended' vendors the company suggested - not realizing that so were the other 30,000+ affiliates that the company had. These vendors might have been great vendors but their lists had been bombarded not only with the same products but in many cases literally the same ad!

Don't be afraid to ask your vendor if they have run your offer recently. Ask them how many leads they add to their list weekly, and how frequently it 'turns over. If they have run your offer recently, then schedule with them, but have them start it in two weeks or so - give it some space from the last time their list saw it.

I hope this quickie article helps you avoid some of the mistakes I have made in regards to the Solo Ads.

Remember, learn from your mistakes - but learn from other people's mistakes first, if you can!

Tom Oswald
Posted 4 Jul 2021 at 21:08
Adel
26 posts / 12 likes

Great post!

Posted 5 Jul 2021 at 05:35
Maurizio Pace
3477  / 14
125 posts / 94 likes

Good post but I beg to differ regarding #2. You, as client, are leveraging my lists to get people to take a look at your offer and add themselves to your own list if they feel like what you offer is worth it. That means that I know my lists and people expect me and not another Mr. So-and-so to get in touch with them because they are used to my style of writing and they don't want to be just hammered with yet another soulless hypey ad that's totally unrelated to what they are used to from me. I know what kind of headlines and swipes work for my lists to get as much engagement as possible and I think the wisest choice is to leave the sellers free to do their work the best way they can from A to Z. Once they are on your list it's up to you to use your own style and engage them with your own skills.

Posted 6 Jul 2021 at 09:08
Pedro Chalas
4 posts / 1 like

Much value

Posted 6 Jul 2021 at 19:54
Go up
Go down