How To (Easily) Boost Your Opt-In Rates! )

How To (Easily) Boost Your Opt-In Rates! )
Kelvin Chan
18 posts / 34 likes

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I last shared & thought I’ll write to share a MVT test I’m performing at the moment…

A MVT test is a more complex version of a simple A/B test (both of which I’ll be explaining in a short while’s time…)

This sharing is INTENDED to stimulate hunger to improve us all as marketers and while things aren’t conclusive, the early findings are pretty interesting and might prove useful to some reading this. In that spirit, I’ll proceed to share. (On a PERSONAL level, this writing serves as a journaling record)

First things first, I’m going to assume you know what a squeeze or lead capture page is and its CHIEF purpose (i.e. to captivate your intended target audience and to capture their true email address for future marketing communications).

To explain what a MVT test is, it’s wise to start off with its simpler version - the A/B test.

To provide an example and an analogy, let’s use popcorns!

Suppose everyone likes popcorns and there are 2 types - SWEET popcorn and SALTY popcorn.

In a sample size of 1000 people, if 600 prefers SWEET popcorn and 400 SALTY popcorn, then SWEET popcorn is declared the winner.

Simple?

With a MVT test, there is more than 1 element of which you can have any number of variations for each of those elements.

Keeping to our popcorn example, let’s say these are the 2 elements & its 2 variations: 1) Preferred taste - SWEET or SALTY 2) Preferred container - CUP or BOWL

And if the results were as follows… Combination #1: SWEET popcorn in a CUP (e.g. 400 people) Combination #2: SWEET popcorn in a BOWL (e.g. 200 people) Combination #3: SALTY popcorn in a CUP (e.g. 300 people) Combination #4: SALTY popcorn in a BOWL (e.g. 100 people)

Hence, the WINNER is - SWEET popcorn in a CUP.

Now…

If you’re the kind who loves working on details, read on till the end… I trust it will be well worth your time.

If you’re the sort who can’t be bothered about details and couldn’t care less, I’ll leave you to decide what’s best for yourself.

Moving right along…

In my current MVT test, I’ve got 4 elements: 1) Top bar with logo (PRESENT or ABSENT) 2) Headline (RED or BLACK) 3) CTA text (With the word “FREE” or without) 4) Privacy statement (PRESENT or ABSENT)

This means that we have a total of 16 unique permutations / combinations (ask your math teacher if necessary…lol!)

Before we go on, I’ll like you to… + Predict which of the 4 elements impacts conversions the most (AT this early point in time…) + Predict which variation of each of the 4 elements is the winner (Again, AT this early point in time…)

Ready? =)

Here are initial results based on 437 visitors so far…

Refer to image @ http://postimg.org/image/wqxafqekp/

As it stands… + The element that impacts conversions the MOST is… the Privacy statement (Did you get this right?). Removing it helps conversions (so far…)! + Having the word “FREE” in the call-to-action button helps boost conversions + The top performing combination (of the 16) is converting at 71.43%, the worst is at 33.33% and the overall at 50.11% (Not represented by the image above)

In this current phase of MVT, a total of 300 to 500 visitors will go to each of the 16 combinations requiring a minimum of 4800 to 8000 visitors. (Can’t wait to see what the final results are - where I’ll then eliminate the weakest combinations and further tweak the strongest ones)

Prior to this phase, simple tests were done to determine which squeeze page design to test with.

Once this current phase of MVT is over (results of which will then be taken with a lot more WEIGHT compared to now), the next phases will test out: + Squeeze Page Headlines (16 variations) + Pre-Headlines (Presence v.s. Absence) + Sub-Headlines (Presence v.s. Absence) + CTA text, color & perhaps font? (More variations) + Graphical Headline v.s. Textual Headline (With same EXACT copy)

These tests will require about 40,000 to 50,000 visitors over the next couple of weeks… (Should be a fascinating time for me!)

Meantime, feel free & encourage you to… minimally do a simple A/B split test (if not a MVT test) based on my early findings.

On this note, 1 tip… make sure to do your tests based on a variety of traffic sources (my current phase requiring 8000 visitors will come from at least 20 different sources).

Trust you’ve enjoyed this and feel free to share your own findings (in the past or going forward) too! :)

*Scurries off to check on the latest MVT results* =D

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 18:10
Kelvin Chan
18 posts / 34 likes

Here's the image...

See attach

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 18:11
Anthony Canty
12 posts / 0 likes

interesting reading, thanks.

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 19:28
Mark Sumpter
5 posts / 4 likes

Great Information on MVT. I love the suggestion on getting traffic from multiple sources because it ensures that your test are accurate across the board. Thanks for a great read and more importantly your experience!

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 19:38
Jean Antoine
1 post / 0 likes

quite inspiring Kelvin. Good job! please keep us posted... as you mentioned, I wouldn't believe the squeeze without the privacy would improve conversion!

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 19:39
Trent Lowe
2 posts / 1 like

Great Test the outcome is not surprising tho I could have predicted the results. Just another test to build more encouragement that I have been doing things right. Thanks man for the information contained within I like the details I believe details are very important which test have proven time and time again.

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 23:10
Carlos Costa
15 posts / 8 likes

Valuable information. Thanks. I'm split testing all the time. Currently I'm testing for the quality of subscribers if I include "Free" or not in the swipe and squeeze page - testing how many buy from my followup emails... Still collecting the data though. Thanks for sharing yours, Kelvin. Particularly useful is the privacy warning. I thought the opposite!

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 23:16
Heather Alessandra
1696  / 1
239 posts / 246 likes

Kevin,

Great post and congratulations on getting a page that averages about 50% conversion. A lot of people struggle with that.

A couple of thoughts. I realize you said you were going to try and run 500 clicks to each variation however I don’t think that is a large enough sample size especially based on the confidence intervals you are currently showing.

Statistically you are showing a tie with all your pages.

Also, how are you accounting for your traffic mix? Are you pre filtering based on historical averages so it remains constant across the test?

Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 00:03
David Everett
29 posts / 16 likes

Kevin, in my book that is solid information! I wish you had`nt mentioned the privacy statement. lol. I don`t have a privacy statement and my conversion rate is 58% on most traffic I use. I too am always testing, especially when using solo ads as the results can be drastic without the right mix.

Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 20:23
Trent Lowe
2 posts / 1 like

What traffic do you use with a 58% conversation rate. Can you give me some recommendations I would appreciate it. Thanks David

Conversion rate sorry durn phone spells what it wants to sometimes

Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 20:30
David Everett
29 posts / 16 likes

Trent, I have bought several solo ads on udimi and Fabian Tan is the only one who consistently bring in a high conversion rate and 1 to 3 sales to boot. I recently started buying solo ads on FB, and am getting 58% optin and 3 fe sales.

Good luck Trent

Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 20:41
Mike Lazarus
1 post / 0 likes

WOW Kelvin. Well done. Please let us know how future tests go. Excited!

Posted 18 Jul 2015 at 19:27
Wayne Martin
1 post / 0 likes

Thanks for sharing this great info, Kelvin. Looking forward to future updates from you.

Posted 19 Jul 2015 at 17:02
Kelvin Fernandez
221  / 4
50 posts / 21 likes

Fantastic share Kelvin! Love the attention to detail!

Another Kelvin

Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 03:38
Wiliam Caleb Rodgers
1 post / 0 likes

Yes testing is a never-ending process. But the thing about testing that no one talks much about is it requires steady amounts of high quality traffic or the tests won't mean much!

This is why what impressed me most about this case study is the fact you can easily get 40,000 to 50,000 visitors across 20 different sources so would care to share those with us?

By the way, I was surprised that removing the privacy statement would hurt conversions as I figured that would add a TRUST factor for the optin?! Did you have a privacy link or the actual statement on the squeezepage?

Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 17:03
Roy Jenks
2 posts / 3 likes

I have to say a big thanks to Kelvin. I created my first squeeze page EVER and sent my first Solo to it.

Kelvin helped me to fine tune my squeeze page and it converted at 37% on a first test with I think is awesome. AND i got 3 sales which when you're first starting out makes you think you're going in the right direction.

It took me 3 attempts to actually order the Solo because I had a brain Freeze and Kelvin talked me through it and didn't lose his temper once at it was after midnight where he is.

I mean I chose the wrong date, then when I started again,I changed the date but put the wrong link in. Really stupid stuff and he didn't curse me once!

So just wanted to share my experience generally and give a big thanks to Kelvin. He's a good guy. He even tells me I should test my squeeze with other Solos as well, so he's got my interest above his to make instant cash knowing I'll keep coming back to him with such support.

Good experience, good result and if you're a beginner you're in good hands with Kelvin.

Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 09:20
Carlos Costa
15 posts / 8 likes

He seems a nice guy.

Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 09:32
Youramy Sahak
30  / 5
10 posts / 4 likes

Great info, thank my friend...

Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 14:42
James Marshall
1 post / 0 likes

I also think Kelvin is a good guy. I'm a total beginner at this stuff and he's been extremely helpful; before. During and after my solo ad campaign with him

Posted 4 Aug 2015 at 05:40
Chuks Solo Ad
98  / 3
25 posts / 15 likes

what did you use to track all this at once

Posted 3 Nov 2015 at 20:22
Jason Whistler
7 posts / 3 likes

Thank you, Kelvin. Fascinating findings so far. I am looking forward to hearing how your full test turns out.

Posted 4 Nov 2015 at 14:21
Go up
Go down