What is an average open rate?

What is an average open rate?
Deni
1 post / 0 likes

What is an average open rate of sent e-mails to subscribers? I have about 20% open rate. Is it bad? I am new at this and I don't know the average statistics. My niche - MMO (making money online).

Posted 5 Oct 2016 at 13:54
Harris Abu Bakar
5 posts / 0 likes

Hi Deni,

Average open rate is dependent on many factors like which autoresponder you use, ip address, domain credibility, and even list size of your autoresponder.

20% open rate for small list size I would say it's bad as an example: If your list size is 30 meaning open rate is only 6.

However, if your list size is big example: 1000 then 20% is a very good open rate.

Nevertheless, I could be wrong but this is what I had experience and hope someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps :)

Posted 5 Oct 2016 at 18:08
Dean Hernandez
4 posts / 0 likes

20 % should be the lowest optin rate. if you are not getting at least 20% then i would try a different seller.

Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 14:21
Irianto Wijaya
356  / 1
35 posts / 14 likes
Dean Hernandez on 19 Oct 2016 at 14:21

20 % should be the lowest optin rate. if you are not getting at least 20% then i would try a different seller.

He's talking about Open Rates not Optin rates.

Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 14:37
Huey Lee
15 posts / 8 likes

Deni,

Open rates are a direct result of the email subject line. There are many things you can do to improve your OPEN rate, but most of it is copy, timing and email server deliverability. If it never makes it to the inbox, let alone the spambox, it will directly affect your numbers obviously. Email delivery is OUTSIDE your control. The only thing you can control is copy content, which you must do your best to avoid all spam trigger words/phrases. Make sure your from name is congruent with your email subject line (as much as possible). I've seen some pretty creative ones lately that got my attention:

From Name: I saw that

Email Subject: you were referred by a friend...

Think about that one above. It would not trigger any spam filters, and the curiosity format would lead to a more likely opener than not. If you can stay out of the spam filters, that's half the battle. The other half is creative.

Here's a great article that gives you 23 subject line templates covering a range of interest-invoking words that can help you.

http://blog.hubspot.com/sales/sales-email-subject-lines-that-get-prospects-to-open-read-and-respond#sm.00001lvpvv1wwfhbpv12neaykz8gj

By the way, 20% is actually NOT a bad open rate. It tells you that you have generated some interest in your list, but it wasn't overwhelming interest. My lists have seen as much as an 87% open rate. Part of the high metric is attributed to how well you give the right audience the desired information they seek and are interested, and how well you have cultivated these subscribers in your autoresponder, by branding yourself or your offer.

Everything goes hand in hand.

Hope this helps.

Huey

Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 16:48
Go up
Go down