Funnel asking for phone number - what do you think?

funnel asking for phone number - what do you think?
Jason Gerald
51  / 4
36 posts / 9 likes

Just wanted to get people's option on a funnel that captures the name, email and phone #. Do you guys recommend capturing phone # so you can follow up the customers?

Just wanted to know what other people think about this strategy...

Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 06:59
Michael Kyle
176 posts / 29 likes

Hi Jason.

I would not ask for a phone number for 2 main reasons. First, if you call them you are in violation of the anti-spam laws here in the US. Even if they provided it on your form.

You can only call them if they have made a purchase from you prior. Do research this for yourself as I'm not a lawyer. Second, 75+% of people that enter a number will give a fake one because they don't know you and most people don't want to be called. Asking for name/email and phone really lowers your optin rate too.

As a rule of thumb, the less info you ask for the higher optin rate you'll get. I ask for first name & email so I can personalize the followup emails. When I ask for just the person's email I get an even higher optin rate.

Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 07:09
James
1332  / 36
453 posts / 156 likes

You could ask for email only on the optin page, then ask for phone and additional info on the next page.

Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 07:14
Jason Gerald
51  / 4
36 posts / 9 likes
Michael Kyle on 09 Sep 2018 at 07:09

Hi Jason.

I would not ask for a phone number for 2 main reasons. First, if you call them you are in violation of the anti-spam laws here in the US. Even if they provided it on your form.

You can only call them if they have made a purchase from you prior. Do research this for yourself as I'm not a lawyer. Second, 75+% of people that enter a number will give a fake one because they don't know you and most people don't want to be called. Asking for name/email and phone really lowers your optin rate too.

As a rule of thumb, the less info you ask for the higher optin rate you'll get. I ask for first name & email so I can personalize the followup emails. When I ask for just the person's email I get an even higher optin rate.

That is a good point on anti-spam laws, I forgot about that.

Jason Gerald - 90% T1 & Fast Delivery ^ Perfect For MMO/MLM/Affiliate Marketing
Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 07:16
Jason Gerald
51  / 4
36 posts / 9 likes
James on 09 Sep 2018 at 07:14

You could ask for email only on the optin page, then ask for phone and additional info on the next page.

You mean on the sale page ask for the phone number.

Jason Gerald - 90% T1 & Fast Delivery ^ Perfect For MMO/MLM/Affiliate Marketing
Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 07:17
Jim Samgola
258  / 1
12 posts / 18 likes

Phone numbers are made up by the person signing up MOST of the time. And you can't call people by law its called telemarketing. Signing up does not give you permission...once they buy you can call them.

Now on your thank you page or order sales letter put YOUR phone number and people can call you. Also put it in every follow up email. I have an associate that does this and he is on the phone closing deals every day. IF a lead CALLS YOU, they are extremely targeted and your conversion rates are amazing.

Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 13:42
Peter Karl
17 posts / 5 likes

General rule of thumb for the initial squeeze page - K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple Seller". Email address field and maybe a first name will help give you the best conversion (besides other factors regarding page design).

Posted 9 Sep 2018 at 21:52
Jen Johnston
111 posts / 62 likes

Nope! Phone numbers are trouble. People would rather not optin than give you a phone number. Or they will give you a fake one and then you risk getting a complaint filed to the FTC, not worth it. People are also very distracted these days, make it easy to optin. The email is the most valuable anyway.

Posted 11 Sep 2018 at 19:42
Go up
Go down